Saturday, September 9, 2017

Reboot...

It's been nearly two years since I've blogged...far too long. So many things have changed in the past two years: many food adventures with Aiden, I purchased a new (to me) home that came with a significantly larger kitchen (WAHOO!) and two persimmon trees, and our family grew by one little guy, Ryan, who arrived last December. So I'm now outnumbered 2 to 1 male to female in my household, unless you count the dog...which I definitely do.

Of course I haven't stopped trying new recipes, and the new kitchen has made so much difference. My old kitchen was small, cave-like, and claustrophobic. I had little to no counter space, the refrigerator eventually had to relocate to the garage, the dishwasher didn't actually wash a thing, and the washing machine was in the kitchen next to the dishwasher. Again, that did not help with the counter space issue.

Now with my new kitchen, I'm trying new things, grilling regularly, cooking regularly, and enjoying being in the kitchen once again. It's therapeutic again. Aiden joins me, and Ryan has plenty of space to sit in his highchair and watch me do my thing. Or to laugh at my awful dance moves...whichever he desires in the moment.

Since I've often had a love/hate relationship with food, and also tend to be very much of an emotional eater, I've been trying hard to adopt much more of a low-carb diet. Again with Ryan, just like with my first pregnancy, diabetes had a firm grasp on me, and I was never far from my blood glucose meter, my insulin, or a sugar source due to a few (very scary) low blood sugar episodes. So my kitchen now boasts much more protein, vegetables, and fewer carbs in pretty much any variety.


So I'm getting back into things. Creating, yet another, new normal...whatever the heck that is. This normal includes now two little guys watching me cook & learning all about food, a much more functional kitchen (that does NOT cause claustrophobia!), and so many more chances for us to make memories around our table...and in the kitchen. Because, after all, life starts in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment